Application Deadline: February 15, 2022 11:59 PM (EDT)
We believe that cross-cultural partnerships give rise to innovation. The American India Foundation’s (AIF’s) Banyan Impact Fellowship for service in India is an interdisciplinary experiential learning program that places young professionals from India and the U.S. in service with development organizations in India. Through collaboration and capacity-building, Fellows and local communities exchange knowledge and skills to steer projects that advance social and economic development. Fellows learn about grassroots development and inclusive leadership. Since 2001, AIF has selected, trained, and supported 501 Fellows and 216 partner organizations to scale impact, catalyze change, and build the next generation of socially-minded change makers. AIF provides Fellows with a living stipend, health insurance, professional development, mentorship, and programmatic benefits to enable their service. Selection of Fellows includes a written application and an interview, followed by matching with potential partner organizations for projects.
In addition to providing fellows with mentorship, networking opportunities and resources for leadership development through The Banyan Impact Fellowship Program, AIF also presents its fellows with an additional professional development platform: The Atlas Corps Virtual Leadership Institute (VLI). This addition built as a result of an association established with Atlas Corps in 2021 furthers AIF’s mission of strengthening the US-India goals by expanding the organization’s investment in the leadership development of tomorrow’s global leaders.
The VLI is an online leadership development program that focuses on the three themes of developing self, developing others, and leading movements, while also strengthening connections between the AIF Fellows and the global Atlas Corps Community. This five-month online program includes sessions with keynote speakers, interactive workshops, self-led activities, discussion groups, and community-building activities with U.S. organizations and leaders. Participants, also known as Scholars, will also work on individual leadership projects that benefit the communities or organizations where the Scholars work.
- Applicants must be either U.S. Citizens, U.S. Permanent Residents, or Indian Citizens.
- Applicants must be young professionals between the age of 21-35 by the program start of September 1, 2022.
- Applicants must have completed at least a Bachelor’s or other undergraduate degree before the program starts on September 1, 2022.
- Applicants must be willing and able to serve on the ground in India for the full duration of the program. As of December 15, 2021, AIF is planning for the program to be hosted fully in person on the ground in India. Should the situation around COVID-19 drastically change by then, AIF may shift to a hybrid model.
- Applicants must be willing to receive a COVID-19 vaccine before the start of the program.
- Applicants must bring both skills and experience, as well as an eagerness to learn with host communities on the ground.
- Applicants must be willing to learn a local language if required for the project.
- Applicants must be committed to enriching learning opportunities for the fellowship community and positively contribute to building U.S.-India bridges of understanding and partnership during their time of service and after.
The Fellowship recruits consist of young professionals from India and the U.S., between 21 and 35 years of age, with remarkably diverse professional and personal backgrounds, who bring a passion for community based development. AIF selects, trains, and places these individuals directly with partnering implementation organizations across India. Fellows serve through contributing their efforts and skills to developing ongoing initiatives, as well as strategizing new projects for the host organizations. To review previous Fellow bios and placements, please check www.aif.org/fellowship/fellows.
Official Website: 2022-23 AIF Banyan Impact Fellowship in India