Application Deadline: 03 April 2022.
In 2021, British Council commissioned a research study to understand India’s trade publishing and literature sectors, identifying opportunities for internationalization and identifying challenges and issues faced by publishers and other literature organisations from working and collaborating more internationally, specifically with the UK.
The 2022 International Publishing Fellowship evolved from the findings of the ‘India Publishing and Literature Sector Study’ conducted by the Art X Company and released in December 2021.
The Fellowship is a peer-to-peer mentoring and professional development programme where publishers from the UK will be matched with publishers of similar career stage and publishing interests from India. It will be a year-long programme consisting of reciprocal study trips, featuring masterclasses, networking opportunities and professional updating.
Costs Covered by the Fellowship
The Fellowship will cover the costs of all fellows’ flights, visa costs, accommodation, local transfers, and per diems during the two study trips. The Fellowship will also cover a limited amount of travel insurance and government-mandated Covid tests.
• Introductions around the cohort
• 1 work-in-progress presentation on any aspect of the individual fellow’s project to the cohort
• 6-8 digital learning sessions including workshops and masterclasses
• A 7 day study trip overseas in either Aug 2022 or Jan 2023 which will include meetings, networking events, publishing house visits
• Research and learning assignments related to the study trips (This will include short written assignment about what the fellow expects to do on the study trip, identifying publishers/translators/literary agents they would like to connect with and such details.)
• A short Reflective Report about your experience as a Fellow to be submitted by31 March 2023.
Profile of a successful applicant:
- Has been involved with and worked in publishing for a minimum of 5 years and has been involved in translation publishing; if fewer years, then has held a leadership position for at least 2 years
- Worked in any of the following roles or in similar positions: Commissioning editors, Owner/CEO of independent publishing houses (newly established/micro), Literary agents
- Is currently involved at a leadership level in a publishing house or has the agency to take strategic calls on a project or on behalf of the organisation
- If freelance, has at least 5 years experience in the translation ecosystem
- Is currently involved in one or more translation projects or has concrete plans to do so in the next one year
- Has knowledge of and network connections in the translation ecosystem in their home country
To be noted
– This round of the Fellowship does not support Academic or STEM Publishing
– This is a professional development activity opportunity aimed at individuals, not organisations. Individuals should apply in a personal capacity, with the consent of their employer.
How to Apply:
To apply to the Fellowship, please email email@example.com with:
● A brief covering letter explaining your interest in becoming a Fellow and what you hope to achieve out of the programme. Being able to highlight aspects of your current work or organisation’s vision that are congruous to the Fellowship will be helpful.
● A completed application form in .doc format
● A letter of support from your employer in .pdf format
Please include ‘International Publishing Fellowship 2022’ in the email subject line
Official Website: British Council International Publishing Fellowship India 2022