Application Deadline: December 15th, 2021
RISE stands for Research Internships in Science and Engineering. RISE Germany offers undergraduate students from North American, British and Irish universities the opportunity to complete a summer research internship at top German universities and research institutions. RISE Germany is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office.
- Students are matched with a host university or institute according to their area of interest (biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, engineering, or a closely related field)
- DAAD provides students a monthly stipend for three months to help cover living expenses
- Host universities, universities of applied sciences (UAS) and institutes provide housing assistance and match students with Ph.D. student mentors or researchers (only UAS)
- German language is not required and the working language will be in English
RISE Germany offers summer research internships in Germany for undergraduate students from North America, Great Britain and Ireland. In their internships, students are carefully matched with doctoral students and researchers (only from universities of applied sciences, UAS) – whom they assist and who serve as their mentors. Interns receive a monthly stipend to cover every day costs. About 300 scholarships are available each year.
RISE Germany internships were first offered in 2005 to applicants from the United States and Canada, with the program extended to the United Kingdom in 2009 and Ireland in 2018. The objective remains to promote student exchange to Germany in the fields of natural science, engineering and life sciences, and to motivate undergraduate students to learn more about Germany’s research landscape and study opportunities.
To apply for an internship placement for summer 2022 you must:
- be currently enrolled at a university/college in the United States, Canada, the UK or Ireland as undergraduate student in the field of biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field)
- be an undergraduate who will have completed at least 2 years of a degree program by the time of the internship placement
- prove that you will maintain undergraduate status after the internship has taken place
German language skills are not required for most positions but would be helpful to manage everyday life outside of the laboratory. The working language will generally be English.
You will receive a monthly scholarship of 861 Euros for full month. The amount is calculated on a daily basis if you stay less than 23 days a month. DAAD provides health insurance, accident and personal liability insurance. All interns are invited to the three-day RISE Germany meeting in Heidelberg at the beginning of July and will receive an allowance of 160 Euros for travel to the meeting.
You can start your internship between May 15 and July 11, 2022 for a duration of three months (minimum stay ten weeks, maximum stay 90 days). Generally speaking the start dates in the internship offers are meant as a timeframe. They are somewhat flexible and would be determined between you and your internship provider. Get in touch with the internship provider if you have questions about the dates.
How to Apply
The application is submitted completely online through the RISE database. If you are interested in participating, the first step for you is to register and to login to access the internship database. Then fill in the online application form and upload all necessary documents. Please check the list of application documents you must submit at the Application portal. The internship database is open between November 1 to December 15, 2021.
- The internship database is open between November 1 to December 15, 2021.
- All applications have to be submitted by December 15, 2021 online (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
- All letters of recommendation have to be submitted by January 14, 2022 (11:59 pm CET – Central European Time).
- Announcement of RISE internship positions by March 2022 at the latest.
Official Website: DAAD’s Research Internships in Science and Engineering