Application Deadline:28 May 2021 at 12:00 PM, noon, Paris time
INED is recruiting 3 doctoral students on three-year contracts. The contracts start on 1 October 2021 (subject to validation of the Master’s degree). The contract may start at another date, between 1 September 2021 and 1 January 2022 at the applicant’s request and subject to the supervisors’ approval.
The remit of the French Institute for Demographic Studies, INED, is to study populations in France and internationally (www.ined.fr). Employing an open approach to demography, INED draws on a broad
range of disciplines including sociology, economics, history, geography, anthropology and epidemiology.
INED contributes to training on research and through research by taking on some 60 young researchers (doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers) at its research units. It welcomes these young
researchers on the basis of two key principles:
- The doctoral student is a research professional. As such, their activity is remunerated as part of a work contract (providing the right to social security, paid holidays and sick leave). The contract in question may be financed by INED or through other financing managed by INED or externally. Regardless of the funding source, the research must comply with the best practices in the profession (the provision of intermediary documents, regular activity reports, work plans, provisional schedules, budget plans). Doctoral students are advised to defend their thesis before their contract ends.
- The doctoral studentis in training and their research is part of their professional project. As such, they receive personalised support from an INED researcher acting as dissertation director or codirector (see list of supervisor researchers in the appendix). The Ined (co-)director helps the young researcher improve their research skills during their stay at INED. He/She assists the young researcher in developing and promoting their professional project.
The applicant must fulfil the following three criteria :
- Applicants must hold, or complete during the current academic year (2020-2021), a Master’s degree (M2) or equivalent in a discipline related to the population sciences and qualifying them for admission to a PhD programme in a French or foreign university.
- Applicants must be enrolled (first enrollment) in a doctoral programme in a French or foreign university for the academic year 2021-2022.
- The thesis director or the co-director of the thesis must be a researcher of INED. Candidates are called upon to directly solicit a researcher from INED in relation to their research theme.
- There are no criteria in terms of age or nationality.
How to apply ?
1. Read the accompanying documents :
2021 call for post-doctoral applications
2021 INED mentor’s list
Charter for PhD students
2. Create a user account at the following address:
3. Required from the Ined supervisor :
Make sure of the submission of supervisor’s forms (before 28 May 2021 at 12:00 PM, noon, Paris time)
Official Website: INED Doctoral Scholarships 2021