Application Deadline: August 1, 2021
Until now, very few affordable startup programs focused exclusively on the practical steps of launching a new journalism venture.
That’s why the Google News Initiative partnered with LION Publishers to launch the GNI Startups Boot Camp, helping aspiring news entrepreneurs in the U.S. and Canada prove there is a need and audience for their idea, build their news product and set their business on the path to sustainability.
You should consider this boot camp if:
- You have identified a community’s need for better news, information and/or engagement and think you can deliver a solution
- You’re less than a year into running your news business and want to re-evaluate some of your core hypotheses and make adjustments to improve your financial sustainability
- You’re committed to public-service reporting with communities, not on communities
- You’re committed to making your business idea financially sustainable as quickly as possible
- You’re able to commit at least eight hours a week for eight weeks to turn your business idea into reality (ideally, you can commit more time)
Applications are open from June 21, 2021 to August 1, 2021. We will also be launching a Boot Camp later this year solely dedicated to news entrepreneurs in Canada. (More details coming soon!)
No fees, no tuition, no income sharing. No financial barriers to your success. Just the hands-on support you need to become independent, and stay independent.
If you’re ready to start a new project, we’re here to help. Your launch team includes experienced coaches, the entire LION Publishers staff and LION News Entrepreneurs community, as well as the team at the Google News Initiative. When you join the Bootcamp, you benefit from the collective experience and wisdom of founders who have very likely faced the challenges you’re about to face yourself
If you are an already-launched digital news publisher, keep an eye out for future applications to the GNI Startups Lab program.
GNI Startups Boot Camp
Applications are currently being accepted for our second news startup boot camp. This is an eight-week fully-remote program starting in September 2021. We’ll be accepting up to 24 solo founders or teams of aspiring entrepreneurs who have identified a community’s need for better news and want guidance and coaching on how to launch, or continue to develop, a news offering that delivers a solution rooted in journalism.
Made for journalism
Annual LION Membership
A year-long “aspiring entrepreneurs” membership to LION Publishers
Aug 1, 2021
Application deadline. Applications close at 11 p.m. Pacific time.
Aug 2 – Aug 13, 2021
Application review period.
Aug 20, 2021
All applicants notified of status of application.
Week of Sept 7, 2021
Boot camp begins.
Week of Nov 5, 2021
Boot camp finishes.
Official Website: Google News Initiative (GNI) Startups Boot Camp 2021