Application Deadline: November 15th 2021
Want to grow as a journalist while absorbing a universe of environmental knowledge?
The Grist Fellowship Program is a paid opportunity to hone your skills at a national news outlet and deepen your understanding of environmental issues. The experience is designed to give early-career journalists with a demonstrated interest in environmental issues the experience to succeed in climate and environmental media.
Grist offer real-world experience at a fast-paced news site, training in a variety of skills key to a journalism career, and exposure to the leading sustainability thinkers and theories of our time.
- This fellowship is a paid, six-month opportunity ($3334/month) for early-career journalists.
- Fellows are eligible for Grist health benefits coverage, including medical, vision, and dental.
- Fellows come away with six months of solid newsroom experience, a body of clips, and fluency in climate and environmental justice issues.
- Fellows across Grist meet regularly as a cohort with members of the editorial staff to develop skills and content knowledge specific to climate journalism.
- Through their Newsroom Training Series, fellows are also trained on a range of crucial skills, from filing FOIA requests to audio/video script-writing.
- Fellows benefit from full integration into the workings of a busy and exciting nonprofit media organization.
- Applicant must possess a four-year degree, or equivalent professional experience;
- Fellows can be based anywhere in the United States.
- Strong understanding of Grist’s brand;
- Demonstrated familiarity with environmental and climate justice;
- Demonstrated experience in research or reporting;
- Demonstrated comfort with writing on deadline;
- Ability to make a full-time, six-month commitment.
After six months of working full-time at Grist and gaining key skills in environmental journalism, fellows have gone on to outlets including The Atlantic, The Verge, Wirecutter, Outside Magazine, Atlas Obscura, Greentech Media, and of course, Grist.
Grist is now accepting applications for the January 2022 fellowships. The application deadline is November 15, 2021.
Official Website: Grist Fellowship Program 2022