Application Deadline: April 19th, 2022, 23:59:59 CEST
By developing new sustainable materials, products, processes and business models, chemistry plays a key role in achieving most of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and hence a sustainable future. In order to accelerate the search for solutions, the ISC3 launches the Innovation Challenge to engage, award and promote Sustainable Chemistry innovators from around the world.
Applications are organized in two stages and open from December 15th, 2021; 0:00 a.m. CET. First stage application deadline by April 19th, second stage application deadline by June 15th, 2022; 0:00 a.m. CEST; Eligible Countries | Regions | Cities: Worldwide
The ISC3 Innovation Challenge is organized annually and focusses on a specific topic that follows the respective focus topic of the ISC3.The current third Innovation Challenge addresses innovators developing solutions in the following thematic areas:
– Avoiding and reducing environmental impact
– Durability and resilience
– Closing material, molecule, and energy cycles
– Waste reduction/avoidance by resource-efficient chemical and
– Substitution of critical product ingredients preventing recycling
– Product design for longevity and better recyclability
– Recovery and reuse of waste streams:
– plastic and other materials waste
– electronic waste
– agricultural and food waste
– construction waste
– production waste
– other waste streams
– Recycling, beneficial reuse, value recovery
– Waste reclamation
– Energy and scarce element recovery
– Business models facilitating waste collection and valorisation
Eligible are all innovators and entrepreneurs, i.e. persons owning or representing the proposed innovation, employed by organisations including research institutes, start-ups, small-medium sized enterprises or comparable institutions active in the development and realisation of sustainable chemistry solutions. Enterprises participating in the challenge shall have a staff headcount not exceeding 50 (full time equivalent) and an annual turnover of max. 10 Mill. Euro. Enterprises majority-owned by large enterprises are not eligible for the award, with the exception of innovations leading to the creation of independent spin-offs.
Proposals submitted by innovators and entrepreneurs from developing countries and tackling challenges in developing countries are considered as particularly important. Female entrepreneurs are specifically encouraged to submit a proposal.
The proposals will be assessed against the three main criteria:
– Innovation level. Is the innovation unique, distinct and truly original?
– Business viability. What is the market potential of the innovation?
Is the idea commercially feasible?
– Sustainability. What is the sustainability impact of the innovation?
What to expect?
Five finalists will receive:
– Tailored support: access to Global Start-up Service Customised Support
– Visibility: promotion of your innovation via ISC3 communication channels
– Networking: participation in the Investor Forum 2022
– Training: pitch training for preparation of your Investor Forum 2022 pitch
– Cash prizes: the overall Innovation Challenge Winner will receive
a cash prize of 15,000EUR.
– The two separate categories “Best Social Impact” and
“Best Regional Impact” are endowed with cash prizes amounting to
5.000 EUR each.
Official Website: ISC3 Innovation Challenge 2022