Application Deadline: Dec. 1st 2021
Call for genomics or engineering biology start-ups solving global challenges in therapeutics, future of food, biomaterials, biological tools, diagnostics and bioinformatics/AI-based technologies
The Ontario Genomics (OG) Landing Pad Investment Program (LPIP) seeks to provide investment and support to help Ontario-based genomics and engineering biology1 companies to start and scale successfully. To enable this, OG is offering support to start-ups that attend an approved International Accelerator Program and return to Ontario upon completion. The Landing Pad Investment Program partner IndieBio (San Francisco & New York), offers a minimum of $275,000 USD upon acceptance to their program, and is backed by the global venture capital firm SOSV.
To be eligible for LPIP, a company must conform to the following criteria:
• Genomics and engineering biology-based company conducting proof-of-concept testing, validation, or further technology development for early-stage innovations. The Technology Readiness Level (TRL) must be increased as a result of the project.
• Have operations in Ontario by the time of application and project initiation. Canadian or international start-up companies will be considered, if committed to establishing operations in Ontario, as outlined. Applicants must show that they have the operations and capabilities in Ontario to complete the work successfully, as well as a long-term plan and commitment for operations and resultant benefits to Ontario.
• Applicants must successfully secure funding and complete an approved international accelerator program, such as our official partner IndieBio. If you are attending an accelerator other then IndieBio, please contact Ontario Genomics to discuss the international accelerator eligibility requirements.
• Funded research must be performed in Ontario and awarded funds cannot flow outside of Ontario unless approved by OG.
• The engineering biology / genomics technology solution must have the potential to impact at least 1 Billion people or be part of a $1 Billion market.
• Funded research must have the potential to drive investment, create jobs and improve lives in Ontario in the near to long-term and must be clearly articulated.
• Project should be 12 – 18 months in duration.
• Applicants must follow the application process outlined.
• The applicant should take actions that will remove barriers to the recruitment and full participation of individuals from all underrepresented groups, including the four designated groups as defined by the Employment Equity Act (women, Indigenous Peoples, members of visible minorities, and persons with disabilities) on their team.
- Step 1: Contact Britney Hess, Ontario Genomics Manager, Sector Innovation & Programs, email@example.com, if you have any questions about the program or your eligibility!
- Step 2: Fill in the application form (linked above) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2021.
- Step 3: Eligible top-ranked applicants will pitch to an expert panel on December 15, 2021. Top-ranked applicants will undergo a due diligence process.
- Step 4: Successful applicants will receive $100,000 in investment from Ontario Genomics, as well as opportunities for mentorship and connections to lab space.
Official Website: Landing Pad Investment Program (LPIP) – Canada