Mitacs Entrepreneur International offers a travel grant to Canadian start-ups that are housed in an incubator or accelerator linked to an academic institution to connect them with host incubators abroad and explore new business development opportunities in international markets. The Mitacs Entrepreneur International program invites application submissions on a year-round basis.
Canadian start-ups receive a travel grant to support eligible business travel costs, of up to $5,000 to connect with a host incubator in an eligible new target market. Through the program, start-ups:
- Create direct linkages with their international target market
- Grow their knowledge of international market opportunities and potential sources of investment
- Build new clients, partnerships and business opportunities to scale their company
Participants submit their application and budget detailing a travel plan that supports growth goals in at least one of the following categories:
- Exploring an international target market
- Seeking international investment
- Scaling up your start-up internationally
Successful applicants receive a travel grant to support eligible business travel costs for up to two (2) full-time equivalent employees, founders, or owners:
- Flights and/or ground transit to target market country
- Transportation costs in target market country
- Per diem
To be considered for the travel grant, all applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a for-profit company
- Be an incorporated legal entity in Canada
- Be housed for a minimum of three (3) months and maximum of two (2) years in an eligible incubator or accelerator linked to an academic institution (Home Incubator)
- Have planned business travel for full-time employees, founders, or owners with soft-landing at a host incubator in an eligible target market. Applicants must submit their application a minimum of 4 weeks before their planned travel dates
Depending on your travel destination, Mitacs can help find international host incubators for eligible start-ups. Connect with the Mitacs Entrepreneur International team for more details and for a list of eligible incubators and accelerators linked to a Canadian academic institution.
- Return travel for up to two (2) full-time employees, founders, or owners of an eligible company
- Soft-landing at an international host incubator
- Participation in meetings/events with key contacts from target market
Eligible markets include the following countries, regions or jurisdictions:
- European Union
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United States
- United Kingdom
ravel grants support eligible business travel costs, with a maximum grant of $5,000. Up to two (2) full-time employees, founders or owners may claim eligible expenses per travel grant.
In-kind contributions from the Home or Host Incubators cannot be used towards matching Mitacs funds.
Official Website: Mitacs Entrepreneur Program