Application Deadline: May 7, 2021
Launched in 2016, the Roddenberry Fellowship is a U.S.-based fellowship awarded to extraordinary leaders and advocates who use new and innovative strategies to safeguard human rights and ensure an equal and just society for all.
The Roddenberry Fellowship is a 12-month program that offers Fellows $50,000 to take an existing initiative (e.g. campaign, organization) to the next level and amplify its impact OR to launch a new initiative.
The Roddenberry Foundation welcomes Fellowship applications from individuals who meet all of the following:
- United States citizens, permanent residents, DACA recipients, individuals with a valid grant of employment authorization or immigration status, or current visa holders who reside in the 50 United States or its territories.
- Individuals who are the principal of their initiatives or organizations, including Founder, Co-Founder, President, CEO, or Executive Director.
- Individuals who are 18 years of age or older.
- Individuals employed by or affiliated with organizations or institutions with a budget of $2M or less.
- Individuals whose primary focus of their work is: immigrant and refugee rights, civil rights, LGBTQIA+ and women’s rights, environmental protection, or health and wellness.
All Roddenberry Fellows receive a $50,000 award, as well as:
- One-on-one professional coaching and development opportunities
- Virtual collaboration sessions to provide ongoing advisement, support, and connections
- Two required in-person retreats (assuming state/city ordinances allow):
- February 21-25, 2022 in Los Angeles;
- September 29 – October 2, 2022 in New York
- A community of peers and allies who share resources, expertise, and support
- Fellowship Launch: April 12, 2021
Between April 12 and May 7, you are invited to learn about the Fellowship and complete the Round One application.
- Round One Deadline: May 7, 2021
Complete registration and submit your application by 5:00 PM Pacific.
- Round One review: May 10–June 25, 2021
The Roddenberry Foundation team reviews submissions to ensure they comply with Fellowship eligibility and rules, and a panel of vetters evaluates applications using the scoring rubric.
- Round Two invitations: June 28, 2021
- Round Two opens: June 28, 2021
A select number of applications will be invited to submit an application for Round Two of the Fellowship. Only those who are invited to Round Two will remain in consideration for the 2022 Fellowship.
- Round Two deadline: July 23, 2021
Round Two applicants will have four weeks to submit their Round Two application. All Round Two applications are due by Friday, July 23, at 5:00 PM Pacific.
- Round Two Evaluation: July 26–September 3, 2021
The Roddenberry Foundation team a panel of judges evaluates applications using the scoring criteria and finalizes the 2022 cohort.
- Fellows Announcement: October 2021
The 2022 Fellows will be announced on this website, The Roddenberry Foundation website, social media, and via press release.
- Fellowship Begins: January 2022
The 2022 Fellowship will officially begin in January 2022 with a cohort-wide call to kick things off.
Official Website: Roddenberry Fellowship 2021