Application Deadline: 05/30/2022
The City of San José is providing grant funding of up to $15,000 to support small businesses with outstanding rent and utility debts related to Covid-19.
- For-profit Businesses, companies, or enterprises (used interchangeably) including sole-proprietors and single-person businesses may apply.
- Business must a current Business Tax Certificate (aka Business License or a Business Permit) through the City of San Jose
- Business must be located in a commercial building within San José.
- Business must have 10 or fewer full-time employees including the business owner (Businesses may include part-time employees in its full-time equivalent count, 2 half-time employees = 1 full-time employee). Sole-proprietors and single-person companies are eligible.
- Business must be active and working to continue.
- Businesses in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings may apply for the grant.
- Business must have been in business prior to March 24, 2020.
- Business owner must own at least 51% of the business. (More than one business owner may apply to meet the 51% requirement but they must apply under the same application.)
- Businesses must provide either the 2020 or the 2021 IRS tax return confirming annual gross receipts were below $3 million.
- Applicant must submit a completed application during the application period scheduled to end on May 30, 2022 at 5:00 pm PDT. Although the initial selection will begin that next day, the application period may be extended past this date.
The City of San José has set aside $2.75 million in federal American Rescue Plan Act funds to provide up to 300 grants to small businesses, companies, or enterprises (used interchangeably) located in San José. The maximum grant is $15,000. The purpose is to provide a grant towards the small business owner’s outstanding rent and utility debt arising from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic from March 24, 2020, through August 19, 2021.
Official Website: San José Small Business Rent Relief Grant Program (US)