Application Deadline: June 30th 2022
Are you a media or tech company with an idea for long term business & newsroom transformation of the sector? Ever wanted to exchange ideas and collaborate with other companies to bring your ideas to life but did not know where to start?
This is your chance: Stars4Media NEWS is now welcoming submissions for media innovations that will allow long-term impact & sustainability of the sector.
Medium (50-250 employees) to large (+200 employees) news media companies collaborating around an innovative project, concerning business transformation or newsroom transformation.
Composition of the teams participating
The project teams must involve a mix of different media profiles: reporters, data journalists, graphic designers, web developers, social media managers, user experience and marketing specialists, data and AI experts, etc.
Applications should be submitted:
- in English (any supporting documentation can be in the native language of the ‘lead project partner’, which is the media organisation submitting the application and leading on the project)
- by project teams comprising a minimum of two media organisations (additional partners included in the teams can be media organisations, other relevant organisations or independent professionals)
- by a named representative – the ‘project leader’ – of the lead project partner
- The two media organisations must be based in two different participating countries
NB: exceptions to “already paired” project teams may be granted whereby the candidate can clearly demonstrate in the application a strategy to bring another eligible partner into the project by the start of the EXPLORE phase)
As a news media company you will:
- Cooperate cross-border with another media organisation for a period of 4 to 10 months
- Benefit from the guidance, training and coaching to implement business and/or newsroom transformation projects
- Test new editorial and technological products and new business models across borders
- Develop and motivate your staff and future management
- Receive a grant: up to 44 000€ per media organisation (when joining both the EXPLORE and BOOST programme phases)
How to Apply:
Interested media are invited to submit a proposal for a collaborative project under one of the two Tracks: ‘business transformation’ (Track 1) or ‘newsroom transformation’ (Track 2). Each project should have the potential to participate in and complete the full BOOST phase but will enter the programme in the ‘EXPLORE’ phase. Afterwards, a second jury assessment will take place to select the companies that will advance in the BOOST phase.
To propose your project, download the application form here, fill it in and upload it below.
The deadline for submissions is Thursday, 30 June 2022.
To evaluate your overall admissibility as well as the alignment of your idea with the scope of the Stars4Media NEWS programme, interested applicants are encouraged to fill in this one-page checklist.
An innovative Stars4Media NEWS proposal describes how the media intends to develop a medium-term project with the potential to (a) reconfigure the business as usual in each media context by (b) increasing the business sustainability of a company. A typical successful proposal should revolve around the realization of service, content, an editorial format, a product, an internal work process that creates a new revenue line or strengthens an existing one. Specifically, the following criteria will be assessed by the jury:
To enter the EXPLORE phase:
- Size & sustainability of media organisation (incl. size, readership and brand quality for largest of the two organizations )
- Plan of action: need and use for both funding&coaching (not mutually exclusive)
- Partnership potential (quality of cooperation and approach and extra points to ‘Already paired’ projects)
- Impact Potential (innovation or costs revenues (business models) or productivity or resilience etc.)
- Sustainability, and potential to help exemplify the Stars4Media Programme goals
Diversity: relevant balances and inclusion (languages, gender, countries, multidisciplinarity of professionals involved, and journalism/media products)
To enter the BOOST phase:
(considered earlier too, but fully assessed at end of EXPLORE phase)
7. Reassessment (assessment of project after phase 1 vs. expected project goals in respect to criteria of phase 1 – results so far)
8. Sustainability of the widened project (*different than point 1)
9. Transformation plan quality (objectives, milestones, teams, change management approach)
10. Support by top management
11. Dissemination plan to the wider media sector
Official Website: Stars4Media European training programme 2022