Application Deadline: August 17, 2022.
This fellowship will place you among the top tech decision makers in the United States government at a time when technology is reshaping society in fundamental ways. Even if you’ve never considered working in government, you should apply. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship will allow you to make change at the highest levels and at a scale unparalleled in the private or public sectors.
We are bridging the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing tech savvy candidates like you to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders — who can understand the challenges of government and in the technology community — and keep Congress up to date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
- At least seven years of work or postgraduate study.
- Tech savvy, with experience working in or studying the technology sector.
- Great interpersonal and communications skills.
- Some technical ability and training.
- Ability to explain technology to those that aren’t as familiar with technology tools or concepts.
- Track record of success taking initiative and working with others.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Committed to helping get Members of Congress and Congressional staff up to speed on technology issues.
The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity for early – mid career technology professionals to get hands on experience working in Congress and learn about the policymaking process. The program embraces diversity and believes that a wide range of views, backgrounds and experience will contribute to improved policy outcomes.
You must be a U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, green card holder, or must be lawfully authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer throughout the duration of the fellowship (including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) recipients, or those eligible for the DACA program).
No experience working in or with government? Great! We’re not looking for that. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity to expose technology leaders like you to Capitol Hill. It is first and foremost and educational experience, giving you a one-of-its-kind education into how Congress and the government works.
- $86,700/year stipend
- Health insurance supplement of up to $400/month*
- Relocation allowance of up to $2,500
- Travel allowance of up to $2,500
- Reimbursement of up to $2,000 for accommodation for the first month of the fellowship in the Washington DC area to ease the transition.
- A $500 clothing allowance for purchases of professional attire
- Work with TechCongress to choose a placement with a Member or Congress or Congressional Committee and report directly to a senior staffer (like a Chief of Staff or Staff Director) in that office from January through December 2023.
- Perform duties similar to other Congressional staff by applying your experience in technology to a variety of work, including:
- Researching relevant policymaking (on issues like cyber and election security, data and biometric privacy, AI policy, autonomous vehicle regulations, health IT, encryption, disinformation, and many others).
- Helping educate Members and staff about these issues.
- Writing legislation.
- Preparing for and organizing Committee hearings, markups, or investigations.
- Building coalitions with partners and other groups.
- Support TechCongress by writing about and presenting your experience periodically, and represent TechCongress and the Congressional Innovation Fellowship at meetings or events.
Official Website: THE CONGRESSIONAL INNOVATION FELLOWSHIP