Application Deadline: April 23rd, 2021
The Duke Incubation Fund provides up to $40,000 per project of seed funding for early-stage technologies and ideas at Duke University with potential for commercialization.
The Duke Incubation Fund (the “Fund”) supports idea-stage projects at Duke University. The Fund makes a number of awards each year to teams and companies to support novel ideas, applied research, potential products, nascent services, and creative projects that, if successful, will lead to new opportunities in the market. To receive funding, projects must demonstrate a potential path to subsequent financial support, new company formation, licensing, partnering, or other channels to enable translation.
The Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative, which administers the Fund, is interested in innovative projects that could lead to new products or services that will have a positive impact on society, including:
- Demonstrating the feasibility of an idea or innovation for a commercial or social venture
- Developing a working software or device prototype
- Obtaining supporting evidence or proof-of-concept for new ideas
- Developing new applications or markets for a technology under development
- Creative projects that might lead to professionally produced content
Applications are welcome from all fields of inquiry. At least one member of any team must be employed at Duke in a faculty or staff capacity (including graduate students and postdoctoral researchers). Projects with a high likelihood of commercialization and/or with existing Duke intellectual property or potential to generate new Duke intellectual property are highly encouraged to apply. Proposals submitted by undergraduates as the primary applicant will not be considered.
- Application Submission Deadline*: April 23rd, 2021
- Final Selection and Notices of Award: mid- to late May, 2021
- Funding Period: July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022
*Award Cycles will typically occur twice per year (Fall & Spring).
Each award will consist of up to $40,000 (direct costs only). Preference will be given to applications with high potential for significant advancement. Funds may be spent within Duke or within a start-up company formed to commercialize the innovation. For projects without a company, one team member must establish a dedicated, project-specific cost object (WBS Fund) within their department to accept award. No funds can be distributed directly to individuals.
Funding will be in the form a Simple Agreement for Future Equity (SAFE) with Duke (see FAQ for SAFE details). Proceeds from the sales of the equity obtained through these agreements will be used to finance future awards. Note: This award is internally funded and does not need to be routed through the Duke Office of Research Administration (ORA).
The Duke Incubation Fund Award uses the MyResearchProposal online application software to submit applications.
- To apply visit http://bit.ly/myresearchproposal, click on “Create New User” (or log in if you already have an account). Proposals must be submitted under the Principal Investigator’s name.
- A step-by-step user’s guide for applying via the MyResearchProposal software is available – Please review this document.
- Enter Access Code I&E then select the “Duke Incubation Fund Spring 2021” funding opportunity and follow the instructions.
- For any questions concerning MyResearchProposal passwords or system issues, please contact Anita Grissom or Kara McKelvey at email@example.com
Official Website: Duke Incubation Fund 2021