Application Deadline: May 23rd 2021
Are you a budding author with a great idea and a compelling voice? If this sounds like you, and you have limited financial means, don’t miss these fantastic fully funded scholarships…
Curtis Brown Creative is a creative writing school launched by the literary agency Curtis Brown. They offer courses in London and online to write and edit your novel with experts at one of the world’s major literary agencies. It is the UK’s only agent-led creative writing school.
Curtis Brown Creative is thrilled to announce the Elizabeth Zott Novel-Writing Scholarships. The scholarships provide full course fees for two talented writers of colour with limited financial means to study with them this summer. One writer will join their six-month online Writing Your Novel course (7 June 2021 to 22 November 2021), and a second writer will be selected to join their three-month online Writing Your Novel course (14 June 2021 to 20 September 2021).
The scholarships are generously funded by CBC alumna and debut author Bonnie Garmus who was a student on their three-month online Writing Your Novel course in 2018. Her novel Lessons in Chemistry will be a major global publication in Spring 2022, in over 30 languages, and a TV drama serial is also now in development with Apple TV.
What you will learn
- The six-month Writing Your Novel course will give you an intense learning experience as a writer, with direct engagement with authors and a publisher, as well as literary agents
- The three-month Writing Your Novel course provides you with a deep-dive into your novel with expert tuition, a strong peer group and advice from literary agents
- The scholarships are open to writers of colour over the age of 18, who fulfil the low-income eligibility criteria
- Applicants must have one of the following categories of ethnicity: East Asian (Chinese; Japanese); South Asian (Indian; Pakistani; Bangladeshi); Southeast Asian (Vietnamese; Korean; Filipino); any other Asian background; Black African; Black Caribbean; Black Other; Mixed – White and Asian; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; any other mixed background from more than one group; or any other background by which you identify as a person of colour
Applicants must fulfil the financial criteria:
- Unmarried and not co-habiting with a partner, with an annual (gross, pre-tax) income of less than £25,000 and personal savings of less than £5,000
- Married or co-habiting with a partner, with a total annual (gross pre-tax) household income of less than £35,000 and personal savings (jointly or individually) of less than £5,000
- If you don’t quite fit these financial criteria but are nonetheless financially challenged, then do apply, explaining your circumstances in the form
Official Website: Elizabeth Zott Novel-Writing Scholarships