Application Deadline: 31 January 2022,
The James McCune Smith Scholarships will fund Black UK students to undertake PhD research at the University, and will provide an enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities and networking opportunities.
The Scholarships are named after James McCune Smith, who graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1837 as the first African American to receive a medical degree.
- Your PhD research can be in any discipline
- The funding covers stipend and fees for up to four years
- You’ll receive:
- a six-month placement with industry, a government or non-governmental organisation or other employer
- mentorship from outside academia to provide a broader perspective and network, in addition to the usual academic supervisors
- leadership training and community building activities
- support for conferences and other networking opportunities
- To apply, you must be a UK domiciled Black African, Black Caribbean, Black Other, Mixed White and Black Caribbean, Mixed White and Black African, or other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other).
- Applying does not prevent you from applying for other schemes to obtain a funded place.
Mentorships and placements
- The University of Glasgow will find a suitable external mentor and placement opportunity for every James McCune Smith Scholar no matter what area of research the Scholar chooses.
There are 10 James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships available to begin research in October 2022. Eight of these are funded by the University of Glasgow and support research in any discipline. Two are funded by GSK and support research in areas of interest to GSK Medicinal Chemistry.
How to apply
- Look at the research interests of staff at the University of Glasgow so that you can suggest a research area and a supervisor. If you can’t find a supervisor we are happy to help you.
- Submit a completed JMcS Scholarship Expression of Interest form so that we can assist you in your application.
- Follow the application process, beginning with contacting potential supervisors. When contacting a potential supervisor, be sure to state that you wish to apply for a James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the options for funding. The topic of research for a James McCune Smith Scholarship is decided by the applicant in conjunction with their potential supervisor.
- Complete the online application. Please include a personal statement of up to 500 words on your research interest and why you wish to be a James McCune Smith Scholar. Please name the James McCune Smith Scholarship as one of the funding options under Finance in the online full application. The deadline for applications is 31 January 2022, but earlier submission is encouraged.
We are keen to support you through the application process and to help you navigate this. If you need any assistance at all then please email: JMSPhD@glasgow.ac.uk
Official Website: James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships