Application Deadline: January 15th, 2022.
The Station1 Frontiers Fellowship (SFF) is a prestigious, fully-funded ten-week summer experience for undergraduate students focused on socially-directed science and technology education, research, and innovation. A unique internationally-recognized model of higher education, the SFF includes an exciting research internship in emerging areas of science and technology with leading established and startup partner companies, research institutes, and nonprofit organizations, a cross-interdisciplinary shared curriculum, and personal and professional advancement activities including inclusive leadership and collaboration, scientific and technical communication, networking, and more. Station1 coordinates an exceptional portfolio of internship research projects in all science and technology majors, including, for example, areas such as biotechnology and public health (e.g. tissue engineering, marine genomics, synthetic biology, AI/ML diagnostics, circular biomaterials), civic technologies, environmental and clean technologies, inclusive digital networks and media, and sustainable advanced manufacturing and next-generation infrastructure.
SFF 2022 will be in a fully virtual format and students will participate remotely in all program activities from their city of residence.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited post-secondary institution and in good academic standing
- Have a genuine interest in science and technology applied to social impact
- Be available to participate full-time in hours compatible with program activity time zones for the entire duration of the program (tentative dates: June 6th – August 12th, 2022)
- Have no other employment (full-time or part-time) or formal (enrolled) classes for the full duration of the program
- Be comfortable communicating in English (the working language for the program) and fill out application materials in English.
- Receive a competitive living expenses stipend and fully-funded instructional costs
- Gain authentic experience through an internship in a leading science and technology company or university research laboratory
- Participate in exciting, state-of-the-art, team-based research and development projects in science and technology (270 hours)
- Engage with a shared curriculum focused on socially-directed science and technology which draws together critical perspectives on history, social studies of science and technology, equity and inclusion, computation in a social context, social change and innovation, sustainability, and ethical reasoning (100 hours)
- Interact with cross-disciplinary guest instructors and mentors from a diversity of fields
- Gain personal and professional experience through both the internship and the formal curriculum that focuses on areas such as intercultural knowledge, inclusive leadership and collaboration, scientific and technical communication, and more
- Receive information and guidance on academic and career pathways
- As program alumni, become part of a network of exceptional professionals in the Station1 community beyond completion of the program.
Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis after the priority deadline (January 15th, 2022). However, we expect all fellowship slots to be filled soon after this time.
For the convenience of preparing your application, the application questions are provided here as a PDF document. Note: To apply to the program, you must submit the full online application following the link below.
Official Website: The Station1 Frontiers Fellowship (SFF)