Application Deadline: 12th November 2021
The Virginian Pilot is now accepting internship applications for summer 2022.
We’re the largest newspaper in Virginia, and our newsrooms feature award-winning journalists eager to help you learn. Our coverage area includes many cities, miles of beaches, the world’s largest Navy base and more.
Our interns are paid, and treated as regular newsroom staff members, learning on the job and helping to produce Virginia’s best news coverage.
You will be assigned an editor and will participate in team meetings and training programs on topical subjects. Sessions in 2021 included a narrative writing workshop, FOIA training, court reporting, and a workshop on how to start on a new beat.
The internship period lasts 12 weeks, and we offer internships in reporting, audience engagement, data journalism, and videography/photography. Our newsroom is currently working remotely and plans to for the foreseeable future. However, interns must be based in Hampton Roads and must be able to drive to assignments, if your job requires it.
Must be enrolled at the time of application in a degree-granting program at an accredited college or university, or be a recent graduate within the past 6 months.
- Students enrolled in a journalism concentration.
- Experience working at a college publication, either print or online.
- A previous internship or freelance experience at a daily newspaper or professional news website.
- If you’re wondering whether you have enough experience to apply, you should apply. The internship is generally aimed at sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students. But our selection committee is open to considering anyone who meets the minimum qualifications.
- Interns are paid $15 an hour and will work 38 hours a week.
- The internship is 12 weeks; the start and end dates can be flexible. Generally, interns start in late May or early June.
- Interns must be based in Hampton Roads, or be able to move to the region for the internship.
Apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please indicate in the subject line which position(s) you’re interested in.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references.
Reporting candidates: Please include PDF copies of eight to 10 published work samples. You may also add links to your application if you have online-only samples.
Photographer/videographers: Include at least 20 samples of published photographs. Upload videos or send as public links in your application. Zip file with images are acceptable.
Audience and data candidates may also attach work samples in applications.
Feel free to include any good work you’ve done, even if it doesn’t fit the “traditional mold.”
Official Website: The Virginian-Pilot newsroom internship program